I want to start by saying how much I appreciate the things that you promote and the way that you live your life: happy and kind!
My question is about fashion for women who don’t have a long torso or legs that go on for miles. I am 5’3″ and I have trouble finding clothes that look good on me and make me appear taller to those around me. I’m also petite and can sometimes appear to be a high schooler rather than a grown woman.
Do you have any tips about how to elongate my appearance by looking for particular cuts and styles?
Thanks so much!!
From one petite gal to another, I feel you! While being on the shorter side isn’t necessarily a negative thing, it can make pulling off certain styles a slight challenge. Over the years, my friend and stylist Anita Patrickson has taught me many genius tricks to create the illusion of added height.
Below she’s treated us to her top tips for shorties such as ourselves.
Jules and Gia,
Elongating your figure is all about playing with cuts and proportions!
1. Try flared jeans that hit you at the waist (not super high) and stay skinny throughout the leg. Add some heels underneath and pair with a blouse and a skinny belt! (If you are very petite skinny belts will look way better than a wide chunky option.)
2. Make best friends with your tailor and add alterations into your budget! Never underestimate the power of a great seamstress. This will be your best weapon in elongating your shape.
3. If you are wearing a mini skirt or dress… make sure it’s a true mini! With this cut the hemline tends to fall a little lower on petite figures, and there is nothing that will shorten your body more than a “too-long mini!”
4. This might sound silly, but wearing your hair in a top-knot is a super fast way to add on a couple inches!!
5. Opt for the pointy flats instead of round toed ones. This will give the illusion of a longer leg!
For more of Anita’s great fashion inspirations, visit www.ask-anita.com.
Latest posts by Julianne Hough
- That Time We Had A Brush With Death On Our Honeymoon - August 17, 2017
- Keep the Summer Alive with These Beachy Desk Accessories - August 9, 2017
- Celebrate National Watermelon Day with this Granita Recipe - August 3, 2017