Surely by now you’ve learned that I love a good dessert. The key for me is to be smart about it! I once read that if you want to indulge in something, make it yourself. Want a pizza? Make one at home! Craving french fries? Break out the potatoes! The act of cooking something yourself not only gives you an opportunity to use healthier ingredients, but also reminds you of how much work goes into what you eat. After putting in all the work of cooking something, you’ve earned the treat!
With that in mind, I try to make dessert myself. It’s a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth and keep my willpower in check. Not only is this recipe yummy, but it’s only 170 calories per ½ cup serving!
• 3 sweet apples, peeled and chopped
• 4 whole figs, chopped
• 2 Tbsp. organic honey or agave syrup
• 2 Tbsp. organic brown sugar
• 2 Tsp. cinnamon
• 1 Tsp. vanilla
• ½ cup vanilla granola
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine the honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a bowl.
• Chop the apples and figs so they are the same size and there are equal amounts of each.
• Mix the apples and figs into the gooey mixture and coat evenly.
• Pour mixture into a greased 9×9-inch baking dish.
• Sprinkle granola on top.
• Cover with foil and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. (Check it at 30 minutes — if the apples and figs are soft, it’s done!)
Serve the hot crumble with vanilla ice cream! To be extra healthy, you can try a no-sugar-added ice cream or a vegan brand.
Latest posts by Julianne Hough
- Oh, Honey: DIY Winter Hand Soak - January 11, 2018
- Glitz & Glamour: My Holiday Makeup Tips - December 13, 2017
- Gluten-Free Gingerbread Waffles with Aunt Sue’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey - December 13, 2017