The floral arrangements throughout my beautiful bridal shower were so perfect I wish they could have lasted forever! My friends and family were also in love with the sweet bunches. They had us all wondering, how do we keep these flowers as fresh as possible for as long as possible?
Enter Ashley Nackos, the florist who lovingly styled the bouquets of peonies, ranunculus, garden roses, ferns and more at my shower. Of course she gave us the greatest advice, she’s a genius! In fact, her tips were so good I couldn’t keep them to myself.
Flower lovers, this one’s for you!
How To Make Your Fresh Flowers Last As Long As Possible
• Never use scissors to cut stems. They pinch the end of the stem causing it to essentially suffocate, making it very difficult to drink water. Instead, carefully use a utility knife or blade.
• Cut stems at an angle to allow more surface space to drink water.
• If it has a wood-like stem, hammer the end to break it up a bit, allowing water to easily reach the blooms.
• If peonies are closed like a fist, you can open by cutting the end, pulling off the leaves, and putting them up to their necks in hot water.
• If your roses aren’t open to a full bloom, turn on your dryer for 5 minutes. Open the door to the dryer and put the bucket or vase of roses in the laundry room and close the door. The trapped heat will help them open.
• Remove all leaves that are low enough to be submerged in water. It will help prevent bacteria growth in the water and keep the flowers alive longer.
• Change water daily.
Follow Ashley on Instagram @AshleyNackos for more floral inspiration.