I am all for these challenges you guys are sending in! They’re thought provoking, clever, and fun. Plus, I simply just love to hear from you! Shaylie emailed me a challenge to go meatless on Mondays for one month for a list of very good reasons. The fact is, if enough of us go meatless even for only one day a week, we are greatly reducing our carbon footprint and saving vital resources for the planet. What a simple way to make a difference!
First off, I just want to say how much I love your blog! There’s so much useful, wholesome information — it’s one of my very favorite places on the Internet! You recently posted a delicious recipe for mexi-cauli rice, and it got me wondering: Have you ever tried Meatless Monday?
I started doing Meatless Monday several years ago, and am now a full-blown vegetarian. I feel healthier than I ever have in my life! Not only is restricting meat one day per week beneficial to your health, it’s also great for the environment.
By participating in Meatless Mondays you can:
• Save up to 133 gallons of water and 24 square feet of land per meatless meal
• Reduce your carbon footprint by over 8 lbs per day, which is as much as not driving for 2 days
• Reduce your saturated fat intake by 15%
• Reduce your risk of breast, colon, prostate, kidney, and pancreatic cancer
• Reduce your risk of heart disease by up to 19%
• Save 28 land animals and 175 aquatic animals per year
If every American participated in Meatless Monday:
• It would prevent around 1.4 billion animals from being factory farmed
• It would save the same amount of CO2 as taking 500,000 cars off the road
I challenge you to give Meatless Monday a try for a month. Are you up for the challenge?
P.S. Already got my tickets to see the Move Beyond tour in June! Can’t wait!
I am so grateful to you for inspiring me to be more mindful! I truly had no idea that just taking one day off per week could have this kind of huge global impact.
I’m so excited you’re going to be at one of our Move Tour stops in June. I’ll see you then!
To all my other lovely readers — will you take on this challenge? I’d love to get your vegetarian and vegan recipes and snack ideas — email me firstname.lastname@example.org.