Who doesn’t love cake?? This perfect-for-one dessert recipe has a twist, though — it’s actually good for you. If you’re like me, you’re very intrigued at the idea of adding black beans to something chocolate-y, but I am here to tell you that one weird ingredient doesn’t keep this from being my new go-to evening splurge.
I’m not sure if you’ve seen any of Lori Zanini’s other recipes, but this one totally lives up to her reputation of delivering big taste without sacrificing your health. If you don’t already have her cookbook check it out!
Chocolate Mug Cake with Strawberries
• ¼ cup black beans
• 1 tablespoon old fashioned or quick cooking oats
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk
• 1 teaspoon canola oil, plus more for greasing the mug
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 3 strawberries, sliced
1. In a blender, combine the ingredients and process until smooth.
2. Pour into a lightly greased coffee mug.
3. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave. Start with 1 minute, and continue 30 seconds at a time until it is firm in the center.
4. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the mug.
5. Serve, topped with strawberry slices.
Nutrition Info (1 cake)
Calories: 146; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 324mg; Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 6g
Follow Lori on Instagram @LoriZanini.