Fresh Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
With the weather heating up, it’s the perfect time to add some light and fresh recipes into your dinner menu rotation. I’ve asked Lori Zanini to share some more of her delicious and healthy creations with us over the next few months, and I’m so glad we’re starting with this fancy but easy-to-execute recipe for Summer Rolls.
As always, please let me know if you try this at home — I love to see your skills in action!
For the peanut sauce:
• ½ cup natural peanut butter
• 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp coconut aminos
• 1 tbsp sriracha
• 1 tsp grated ginger
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• ¼ cup canola oil
• ½ cup water
Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined (or blend all ingredients in a food processor). Pour into a small ramekin and set aside.
For the rolls:
• 1 lb wild caught shrimp
• 1 tsp canola oil
• 1 package rice paper (I love BanhTrang brand, if available)
• 1 medium watermelon radish
• 2 cups shredded carrots
• 2 cups julienne cucumbers
• 2 cups shredded white cabbage
• 2 cups thinly chopped romaine lettuce
• 1 cup of fresh mint leaves
• 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
• Large bowl of room temperature water
1. Heat a nonstick skillet to medium and add teaspoon of canola oil. Add shrimp and saute until curled and pink. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Cut watermelon radish in half and slice thinly to create half moon pieces about ⅛ inch thick. Set aside.
3. Mix carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, and cabbage in a bowl. Pick the leaves off the cilantro and mint and add to a separate, small bowl.
4. Submerge 1 rice paper round in bowl of water. Let stand for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Rice paper should be soft and pliable, but not limp.
5. Place softened round on dampened cutting board. Place 3-5 pieces of shrimp, cut side down, in single layer. Place 2/3 cup vegetable mix on top of the shrimp; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 2 teaspoons mint.
6. Fold in the left and right ends of the round, and then roll from bottom to top tightly into a cylinder. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form 4-5 more rolls with shrimp.
7. For the remaining rolls, lace 3-5 slices of watermelon radish, cut side down, in single layer on the rice paper. Place 1/2 cup vegetable mix on top of the radishes; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 2 teaspoons mint.
8. Cut rolls diagonally in half; arrange on plate and serve with peanut sauce.
For more awesome recipes follow Lori on Instagram @lorizanininutrition.