This smoothie from Nourish’s 3-Day Cleanse is super detoxing, refreshing and tastes more like a treat than a healthy beverage.
This smoothie is unique in its detoxing and anti-inflammatory properties, which is why I love it so much! Nourish says beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are two betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification properties. Although you can see these betalain pigments in other foods, the concentration of betalains in the peel and flesh of beets gives you a uniquely great opportunity for these health benefits. Coupled with their status as a very good source of the antioxidants manganese and vitamin C, the unique phytonutrients in beets provide antioxidant support in a different way than other antioxidant-rich vegetables, since they are important in what we call Phase 2 detox.
Phase 2 is the metabolic step that our cells use to hook activated, unwanted toxic substances (aka all your Christmas cookies) up with small nutrient groups. This “hook up” process effectively neutralizes the toxins and makes them ready to leave the body. One critical “hook up” process during Phase 2 involves an enzyme family called the glutathione-S-transferase family (GSTs). The betalains found in beets have been shown to trigger GST activity, and to help get rid of toxins that require glutathione for excretion.
• 1 cup coconut water
• 1 cup blueberries (can be frozen)
• 1⁄2 cup chopped mango (can be frozen)
• 3⁄4 cup cooked, chopped beets (about one beet)
• 1⁄4 avocado
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1⁄2 cup ice, if not using frozen fruit
• Dash of minced ginger, to taste (optional)
Blend all ingredients and ENJOY!
Latest posts by Julianne Hough
- That Time We Had A Brush With Death On Our Honeymoon - August 17, 2017
- Keep the Summer Alive with These Beachy Desk Accessories - August 9, 2017
- Celebrate National Watermelon Day with this Granita Recipe - August 3, 2017