Pomegranate Vanilla Skillet Cobbler
When I came across this recipe from Jessica Merchant of How Sweet It Is I practically fell out of my chair. Can we talk about this for a second?? Warm and fluffy cobbler with juicy berries and plump pomegranate seeds, topped with ice cream? Sign. Me. Up.
The splashes of ruby red makes this pretty dish almost too good to eat — but let’s not be ridiculous. If your crew is anything like mine, it might not even make it to the plates. Somebody hand me a spoon!
• 1 1/2 cups frozen berries
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 pomegranates, seeds removed
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
• 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
• 2/3 cup buttermilk
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup sliced almonds
• powdered sugar for serving
• ice cream or whipped cream for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, stir together the berries, sugar and 1/2 cup pomegranate arils.
3. Place the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter and vanilla beans in a food processor and pulse until the butter is in small crumbs. Stream in the buttermilk and vanilla extract until a dough comes together. It will be wet and sticky!
4. Remove the dough and add it to a bowl. Fold in the remaining pomegranate arils.
5. Place the sugared berries in a skillet. Top the mixture with the cobbler dough evenly. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Sprinkle the cobbler with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
For more sweet inspiration, follow along @howsweeteats.
Images and recipe courtesy of How Sweet Eats.