Recipe: Sweet Potato Pie
Pumpkin is just so expected, you know?
Let me set the record straight: I love all pies equally. That being said, I think it’s good to shake things up every once in awhile. Every year the same pies are served and every year I eat them enthusiastically, but this year I want to get wild.
Let’s see if this Sweet Potato Pie recipe from health expert Lori Zanini, RD, creator of the free 7 day meal plan, is the kick in the pants this holiday needs!
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 30 minutes rest
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 large eggs
• 1 pound sweet potatoes
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
• ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt until combined. Add the olive oil and to the bowl and process until mixed. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cold water until the dough forms into a ball. Press the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Place the disc between two sheets of parchment paper and roll until about ¼-inch thick. Transfer to a pie pan.
4. In a large pot, place the sweet potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer for 30 minutes until tender. Let rest till cool enough to handle and peel the sweet potatoes. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
5. Add the oil, maple syrup, and applesauce, and process until well mixed. Add the almond milk and process again. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and mix.
6. Pour the batter into the pie crust. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center is set and crust is browned. The pie will pop up like a soufflé while cooking and then come back down, but will not be firm until after it cools.
Nutrition Info (1 piece)
Calories: 182; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 52mg; Sodium: 175mg; Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 5g
Latest posts by Julianne Hough
- Oh, Honey: DIY Winter Hand Soak - January 11, 2018
- Glitz & Glamour: My Holiday Makeup Tips - December 13, 2017
- Gluten-Free Gingerbread Waffles with Aunt Sue’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey - December 13, 2017